Monday, May 6, 2013

The History of Kira's car (to the best of my knowledge)

Red Racer!
I bought Kira's car from someone that was out of quarter midget racing. When I got the car, the frame was bare and the car was black.
Immediately Kira informed me she wanted it white. I tried to talk her out of it but she wouldn't budge. So, we left the frame bar and spray painted the thing white.
Throughout the season, we were constantly having to steel wool the frame to avoid rust. This is how I learned my 15 year old was allergic to wool.
Did you know steel wool is really made of wool? So weird!
Anyway, that was a main reason for powder coating the frame in-between seasons.

And if you powdercoat a driver's frame, the next thing they'll want is a color change... Or is that "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie?" Eh, whatever.

So then Kira wanted a red car. Now you may be wondering why I didn't take it in and just get it painted normally instead of spray painting, which obviously never looks as good.

I went back and forth and almost took it somewhere but they wanted a pretty penny I wasn't willing to pay. I could have had some other racing families that do that stuff on the side do it but I didnt really have time to mess with coordinating such a thing.
Additionally, some of the body panels have been munched in accidents and I dont feel like buying new ones and it seems stupid to put a good paint job on an imperfect surface.
So I got spraypaint from O'Reilleys Auto Parts store and went to work in my back yard.

Here are the pics of the transformation.
The white panels
Going to red

This is only allowed if you are not married - everyone else must dry panels in a shop or garage.



No comments:

Post a Comment