Sunday, February 17, 2013

Getting Ready for Race Seaon - year 2!

The Walsh household is slowly (slower than I would like) gearing up for race season...

In the off-season, the bumper got repaired on the RV from my little U-turn/jacknife incident.

Zachary helping during disassembly.

Then I tore Kira's entire car apart and sent in the frame to be powder coated at Perfection Powdercoating in Graham. It cost us about $200 (it is more or less depending on how much prep and what type of color you choose), didn't take too long and they did awesome work. We just went with a pretty basic grey so that it could match most anything. They also check all the welds and will straighten out your bent bumpers. I didn't do that so not sure how much that part is. Anyway, I was super happy with them.

Bare frame (except rust)
At the shop - fresh powder!



Time to put her back together!!


Now I've had the car apart for several weeks because I was just going to spray paint it a different color (she wants red this year) but it has been so cold that I haven't been able to do it. Now I am getting nervous about getting it back together and may just send the pieces in to get painted at a shop.

Aside from trying to make the body pretty, I sent all the motors out to the shop to be refreshed. I have been waiting on those for at least a couple weeks so far. If you do this, allow enough time.
These are our three Honda 120 motors.
Other things we had to take care of include ordering new safety belts (they expire every 2 years), general RV cleaning, and I am starting to slowly order organizational storage for the trailer. I still need to figure out what flooring is the best/most economical for the trailer application.

Both kids are out of novice this year so we will be going full on from the very get-go. The oldest will still be running Sr. Heavy Honda and the youngest will be running in the Jr. Honda 120 class. Luckily the oldest gets to be home most of the summer this year so we may end up adding more of the region races to our schedule this year.
Both of them are missing their track friends and can't wait to return to racing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment